What are my options for reopening my denied F1 application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

My Change of status from H4 to F1 got denied. I had received a RFE. Reason for denial being RFE documents not received in the stipulated timeframe. I had sent the documents within a week of the RFE which USPS did not deliver. I do not have proof in terms of tracking number or anything similar that establishes that I had sent the documents. The notice that I received from USCIS states that I need mailing proof to file a PTR. Do I have any options here? I am out of status now and in all likelyhood will miss a semester if this is not resolved. Please advise. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bindi Chintan Parikh

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File a new petition and try to consular process from your home consulate if you can. That'll probably be faster than trying to change your status in the US

    Bindi Parikh
    Attorney at law

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Go home and apply for an F-1 visa stamp there.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may apply for an F-1 visa directly with the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Student visas

Student and exchange visitor visas allow people to come to the United States temporarily for a specific educational or cultural purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,581 answers this week

2,854 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,581 answers this week

2,854 attorneys answering