What are my options can I file a sue?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

for I was evicted from my duplex this Friday with no 24 hr. notice, the locks were changed when i tried to get back I couldn't go inside. my kids and I were left with no home, the good thing is that I started moving the same day earlier but I did lose lots of furniture and personal items. I tried to go the next day and my stuff was in the garbage I wants to know if there is anything I can do Can I sue them? I'm really upset about losing all my furniture, kids clothes, and personal items

1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

4

Answered . If the landlord / management changed the locks on their own as a self-help eviction, then yes, you can sue the landlord.

If the landlord / management filed an eviction case in the courts and a writ of possession was issued and enforced, then no, you will not be able to sue.

it sounds as if you need a consultation with a local landlord / tenant attorney.

Good luck!

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . Small claims court for property damages

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . You might be able to bring a lawsuit against your landlord for wrongful eviction. Florida law expressly prohibits self-help evictions (locking you out without proper notice and without your landlord having availed himself to the court process). Florida Statute 83.67 (6) contains the following: "A landlord who violates any provision of this section shall be liable to the tenant for actual and consequential damages or 3 months' rent, whichever is greater, and costs, including attorney's fees. Subsequent or repeated violations that are not contemporaneous with the initial violation shall be subject to separate awards of damages."

Consult a local landlord/tenant attorney immediately. You have remedies available to you.