What are my options after being in a hit and run accident?

Elizabeth, NJ |

o I was in an accident yesterday. I was waiting for the light to turn red literally 5 blocks away from my house when a stupid drunk driver rammed me from the back. I was with my step dad. He got out of the car to prevent the bastard from leaving cause he was trying to leave. I got a pic and his license plate quickly before he left. He had the nerve to throw a can of beer out onto the street like that was going to help him. He had two other people in the car and Virginia plates. Before he left he stopped next to me and said no traffic..Then left. I went to the hospital with my step dad and we both have sprained backs and necks. His is lower back and mine is upper and lower.

I would contact the law enforcement in the city where the accident happened immediately and file a report. Give them the photos you took. Since he was not caught at the scene, he won't get a DUI. However, you can still make a claim against his insurance, if he has any. I would contact a personal injury attorney in your area to help you in seeing that you are properly compensated for this accident.

All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. No attorney client relationship has been formed nor should one be inferred. Our office only represents plaintiffs in personal injury matters such as wrongful death, liquor liability accidents, dram shop cases, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and other catastrophic injuries.

Christopher J Basner

Christopher J Basner

Be careful relying on advice from someone not licensed to practice law in NJ. The driver still could be charged.

First, get the medical attention you and your step dad need. Also, report it to the police. The picture your step dad took and the license plate number should help them find the guy who hit you. Report the accident to your insurance company. Also, to consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you who can investigate and try to find the person who hit you and otherwise.give you guidance as to how to proceed. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

First and foremost, you should make sure that your received medical care and treatment for your injuries. You should file a police report and open an insurance claim regarding the hit and run accident. You should also contact a local car accident lawyer for consultation and advice.

Richard Todd Rosenstein

Richard Todd Rosenstein

* Typo ~ First and foremost, you should make sure that "you receive" medical care and treatment for your injuries

I have to agree with Mr. Hirsch. Get treated for your injuries and consult with a personal injury attorney ASAP.

Make sure you report the accident to the police and seek medical attention, if needed. If the driver turns out not to have insurance, you likely will be able to use your uninsured motorist coverage for any possible property damage or injury claims. You may not have to pay your collision deductible if you use the uninsured motorist coverage instead of the collision coverage.

Make sure this is reported to the police immediately. Hopefully the police will do an investigation and find out the name of the owner and operator of the car. If not, you should have coverage on your own car called uninsured motorist coverage. This should protect your for injuries but will not help you regarding property damage. No fault coverage on your car should cover the medical bills.

Joseph Monaco

Joseph Monaco

NJ uninsured motorist coverage can cover property damage claims.

Scott Lawrence Wiss

Scott Lawrence Wiss

That is correct NJ Uninsured coverage can cover property damage. In NY that is not the case.

The most important thing is getting proper medical treatment and finding out whether you have serious injuries that need to be treated. If you have not already file a police report, that should be done immediately and picture should be given to The police so they can attempt to locate the driver. Your insurance company also needs to be notified immediately. You need to open a claim file for your injuries and property damage to your vehicle. You should retain an attorney who can work out all the insurance issues for you and address the personal injuries that you and your father have suffered. We do this all the time. It can get complicated. Your main objective right now is the proper medical treatment. Let an attorney take care of all the other issues for you.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

Pick up the phone and contact the police and file a report immediately. Turn over your photographic evidence to the police. Keep copies for your attorney to use later.

Report the incident to your automobile liability insurance carrier.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Did the police go to the scene of the accident? It appears you were injured. A claim needs to be set up so your medical bills and treatment is paid for. Depending on your policy and extent off your injuries you may be able to recover for pain and suffering.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

You need to make sure that you have filed a complete accident report, then report this incident to your insurance company. Thereafter, hire an attorney who can help protect your rights to treatment and recovery.

If you need further information you may call our office at (609) 242-5319. While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's opinion, suggestions and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will only be created through a fully executed retainer agreement.

DUI accidents topics