Skip to main content

What are my options after a car accident, and pain in my back?

Miami, FL |

Hi, I had an accident three months ago, another car hit me in the back. I have been receiving physical therapy but pain is still there. To make things worse, but my employer fired me a month after the accident. I filed for unemployment for my ex employer claimed that I left my job which is not true. Here I am now with a child, zero income, and five herniated discs in my back. Can I apply for short term disability or do what?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Regardless of fault, you may be entitled to receive your lost wages and future lost income; as well as all your medical expenses. Whether you are entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and other legal damages can be sought and determined by an experienced attorney, and/or possibly given in a settlement or awarded at trial. Your statements of loss are quite compelling and you should be entitled to a significant amount of compensation. I would suggest you contact and retain an experienced personal injury attorney.


I am sorry to hear about your injuries. You should consult with an auto accident attorney to find out what kind of insurance policies are available to cover your losses (med bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.). Once you have that info you can make a better informed decision.


Nothing in this answer is to be interpreted as legal advice. I would need more facts to fully assess your case.


You should contact a local area personal injury attorney to help you through the insurance process. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Talk to a couple and then choose and retain one who is experienced and who you feel comfortable with. Sorry to hear about your problems. Lest of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Call an Avvo Attorney today!

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Have a local lawyer investigate


Sorry about the accident. However, consult a personal injury lawyer ASAP. The fact is that those are serious injuries and you need professional help. Personal injury attorney's almost universally offer free consultation in this type of case. Additionally, if the attorney takes your case it will likely be on a contingency. Good Luck!


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I strongly recommend that you consult with a licensed personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible. A competent injury lawyer can track down all available and applicable insurance policies to maximize the compensation for your injuries.

Best of luck.

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction for a consultation and evaluation of your potential claim. Matthew Dolman was selected a 2013 Florida Superlawyer by Thompson Reuters. He can be contacted at (727)451-6900

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer