What are my obligations to my tenants as a landlord in CA to disclose a pending/possible foreclosure?

Salinas, CA |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

Do I need to fully disclose to my tenants pending foreclosure details? What recourse do they have under California Tenant-Landlord law?

1. No legal obligation at all. Even if you lose property they are protected for the duration of their lease.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. You aren't required to disclose anything to your tenants, and as logn as you own the property, you can collect rent, etc. if your mortgage is foreclosed, the bank will own the property and will sell the property to a new landlord or operate it themselves until they can sell it.

The tenants have protection under CA law, especially if they are in good standing with their rent payments.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. You are under no obligation. If you do tell them they may stop paying rent.

Landlord-tenant law topics