What are my next steps?

Van Nuys, CA |

I have been a tenant for my landlord for eight years; its been five plus years since I've been telling my landlord about maintenance issues.

Maintenance issues include:
-air and heater have not been working for four years
-mold problem for the past four plus years (they keep painting over it)
-broken closet doors
-past rat infestation in the balcony
-pipe leaks
-sink leaks
-privacy issues

my mother has been getting sick and my brother developed asthma in the past year. We have notified them numerous times and have taken pictures and we've saved old text messages- the only thing that has been done is kitchen air vent has been changed, carpet for ONLY the living room and hall way has been done, and kitchen sink has been replaced. There are babies living here. What should I do?

With all those problems, it seems to me like you should move out. You can report substandard housing conditions here:

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant