What are my next steps?

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

I have been a tenant for my landlord for eight years; its been five plus years since I've been telling my landlord about maintenance issues.

Maintenance issues include:
-air and heater have not been working for four years
-mold problem for the past four plus years (they keep painting over it)
-broken closet doors
-past rat infestation in the balcony
-pipe leaks
-sink leaks
-privacy issues

my mother has been getting sick and my brother developed asthma in the past year. We have notified them numerous times and have taken pictures and we've saved old text messages- the only thing that has been done is kitchen air vent has been changed, carpet for ONLY the living room and hall way has been done, and kitchen sink has been replaced. There are babies living here. What should I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . With all those problems, it seems to me like you should move out. You can report substandard housing conditions here: http://cris.lacity.org/cris/informationcenter/c...

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,615 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,615 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering