What are my legal rights when falsely accused of stealing in busy grocery store parking lot by an employee.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

My friend and I were checking out of the grocery store when the cashier said they have a limit as to the amount of soda you can purchase in one transaction, no problem we said we would go to our car and return for the additional soda. What appeared to be a manager said that was fine. We made our purchases and proceeded to the front door, leaving the cart with the extra soda next to the display 30 feet inside the store doors. When we arrived at the car, a man approached us asking to see our receipts for the soda in our cart. We were extremely surprised at what was happening and extremely humiliated to say the least since there was a parking lot full of people on a Sunday morning. After showing the receipts, a store manager approached to ask what was going on. It was very degrading.

The original employee that approached us was told by the cashier that we left the store with two shopping carts but had only paid for groceries in one of them, he never even stopped to notice that the second cart was still inside the store nor did he even think twice when approaching that we were walking to our car with only one cart. We were moving around items in the trunk to make room for our groceries and nothing had even been removed from the cart, which was loaded at the register by a bagger. This is a large grocery chain in our neighborhood, I can only imagine what people were thinking when this was talking place in the parking lot. The manager apologized extremely for what happened and told us that it is not store policy for their employee to approach customers. When returning back into the store everyone inside was staring at us, a few of the employees apologized and said they couldn't

1. Michael Douglas Shafer

Answered . It was a mistake. Contact an attorney to discuss the matter.