What are my legal rights in a dorm room. Are police officers and resident assistants legally allowed to enter without consent.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

I live in a University Dormitory in the state of Arizona, and have a resident assistant who acts as a overseer to all of the other residents located in the building. If I were to get in trouble and the police are called, are they legally allowed to enter my dorm room and search my belongings without my consent, and are the resident assistants legally allowed to enter my dorm room without my consent at any time during my residency? Additionally, when do I need to provide information such as ID to the officer, and am I legally required to answer his or her questions.

1. Melinda K Hardy

Answered . Much of your answer will depend upon what you agreed to in order to live in the dorm room. You will need to look at the paperwork you signed and see what you agreed to.

As to if you are required to provide an ID to an officer or answer questions will depend on the facts and circumstances of the situation. Is the officer investigating a crime or suspicion of a crime? Is the officer just walking down the street and asks you for your ID? Based on what you provided it is difficult to assess your particular facts and circumstances.