What are my legal responsibilities and liabilities for my 2 elderly parents that haev dementia under CA laws

Morgan Hill, CA |

I have 2 elderly parents, 87 and 89, one with dementia. They live alone and have refused any safety precautions I have tried to put in place. As an only child I want to keep them safe. What are my legal reponsbilities and liabilities. What if I am out of the country and something happens. Am I liable?

You would not be liable for the actions of your parents. However, to the extent they cause damages to themselves or others, any monies necessary to compensate for such liability would be owed by them and ultimately their estate. So, indirectly, if you would likely receive an inheritance from your parents, it may be diminished by any liability they incur. Bottom line, it pays to ensure your parents are taken care of while you're out of the country.

DISCLAIMER: The information in and this communication are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or my law firm. The information in this communication is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon the information in this communication. You understand that this communication is not confidential and is not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates