Skip to main content

What are my legal options, wheredo I go to, stop my husband from marrying an american woman whilst we are still legally married.

Staten Island, NY |

We met in ghana and got married there he was naturalized american cirizen, so he petitioned and brought me to US. We have 4 children together. I am a naturalized citizen now. We have been having problens for sometime now because he doesn't take care of me and the children. He went to ghana recently to secretly tried to divorce me and to marry another wom but the court will not grant him a divorce unless I am present, he came back but now he is in a relationship with an american woman in a different state and promised to marry her. He has already started moving some of his belongs to that womans house and told the children he was getting married to another woman. She doesn't know he is still legally married. We live together. He has already converted the woman into our religion.

Attorney Answers 2


I'm not sure there is anything you can do legally. You could show up at the service and tell the officiant you are still married. If he is able to marry her before getting divorced you can notify the police.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Rothstein in that there is no way to prevent the parties from going through with the event. With that said, if you are still married to him then he cannot marry anyone else. Any subsequent "marriage" will be void until the two of you divorce.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics