What are my legal options?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Poughkeepsie, NY

A month after my husband served me with legal separation papers, he is now looking into disability. He stopped the divorce process and wants to make amends. He now needs my support financially and to take care of him. How do I protect myself financially and emotionally.
helpless and feeling guilty

1. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

6

Answered . This question requires some clarification. Were you served with a divorce or did he have you sign a separation agreement? How did he stop the divorce process? Depending on your circumstances there may be some steps that you can take to protect yourself but I would need more detailed information in order to properly guide you.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

5

Answered . The feelings part of it is tough - but the legal part doesn't have to be. Disability is not a limiting factor in divorce. Feel free to give a call to discuss options.

3. Martin Paul Weniz

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Yaniv. You should consult with a local family law attorney to review the details of your case and discuss your legal options.

4. Keith G Langer

5

Answered . Step one is to retain counsel, since it appears you have not done so. The NY and Dutchess County bar associations can provide referrals.

To protect yourself from a husband who was all set to divorce you, and now wants just your "support financially and [for you] to take care of him," proceed with the divorce.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.