What are my defenses? Settling, mediating, small claims or counterclaim for subrogation of $19,000 against me. What can I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - North Hollywood, CA

I was in a collision back in July of 2012, my insurance had lapsed, i was hit head on, we exchanged info, they never took my statement or my side of what happened. I had repaired my car on my own since I had no insurance, and I was never contacted 'til now that the other party's insurance claims I was at-fault, they have an law firm coming after me to recover $19,000, what can I do? I have no assets, money, or credit, I just turned 18, graduated high school, barely have enough for me. My insurance didn't want to handle this because they said the auto-payment never went through so we weren't covered.

1. Steven Curtis Gnau

Pro

6

Answered . The other person's insurer stands in their insured's shoes when making a subrogation claim against you. Therefore, you have all of the defenses available arising from the underlying motor vehicle accident against the subrogation action that you would have had the other driver sued you - including fault for the crash. California is a comparative fault state.
    Small claims is not an option because the jurisdictional limit is exceeded.
    Mediation is an option however mediation is a process to negotiate a settlement and is not binding on either side. As a result, you may under up paying mediation fees and not accomplishing anything.
    Settling is an option. Most subrogation claims can be resolved at a discount and with a payment plan.
    Having them sue you is an option. You will have to pay a filing fee but then you may be able to seek a Mandatory Settlement Conference which may result in a judicially negotiated settlement.
    Filing for bankruptcy is an option to discharge the debt/liability as to the person for BK protection. Since you were less than 18 at the time of the accident, your parents and the person who owned the car may also be exposed to this subrogation claim.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

4

Answered . If you were not at fault, even if you did not have insurance, you are likely entitled to bring your own claim. Find a local personal injury attorney asap for a consultation.

3. Sagar P. Parikh

3

Answered . Consult with a personal injury attorney who can bring a claim on your behalf.

Pro

4

Answered . Contact one of the above lawyers in your state to resolve this.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

2

Answered . Explore BK. Best of luck.