What are my consequences for shoplifting at Walmart?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I am going to court being charge for shoplifting at Walmart. They made me sign papers admitting that I shoplifted. They let me go after they took down my information. I was charged for stealing about $100 worth of stuff. I am just wondering, what are my consequences? Like how much will I actually have to pay after going to court? What am I facing? Will I get probation, jail time or any fees? thank you.

this is my first offense and I am being charged as a misdemedor. I am a full time college student 18 years old. I do not have the money for an attorney.

1. James Kevin Hayslett

Pro

10

Answered . A couple of questions first. Is this your first criminal offense?
    If it is you may be eligible for a diversion program which will require you to pay restitution, meaning you have to pay back the money or give back the merchandise plus do community service hours and/or pay some court costs. If you do this your case may be dismissed. Otherwise you would be looking at a small fine and or a period of probation.

2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

2

Answered . It will be on your record and you may regret having it there.

Hire an Attorney to
    map out the circumstances,
    look at the proof,
    test the allegation of theft,
    and
    defend your rights....

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
    Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
    Electrical-Chemical-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney
    (562) 594-9784
    http://patentax.com
    About Curt: http://patentax.com/curt/index.html
    Visit the Library: http://patentax.com/library/

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

2

Answered . If you were actually charged by the police you should retain an attorney . This offense has long lasting effects. An attorney might be able to get you an alternative sentence which will get the matter reduced or dismissed.

Andrew Roberts

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . You need to speak with a private attorney to handle your case and work to prevent you from being convicted of a crime and having a permanent criminal record!