What are my choices if I disagree with the valuation of a totaled car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fredericksburg, VA

I was rear-ended in Va. The other driver was ticketed. We both have Allstate. Allstate says car is totaled. My car is a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE with 212,412 miles. Car is in good shape. Well maintained. Leather interior, power sunroof. Allstate, utilizing CCC One, values the car at $1990. Looking at Edmunds estimates for similar vehicles currently for sale at dealerships and comparing with asking price, I think it should be $4600. I can't find one for sale with that mileage. CCC one seems to really lower the price because of the mileage. Is my approach unreasonable? What are my options if Allstate won't come close?

1. Lori Jeanne Costanzo

5

Answered . You should definitely ask them to reassess.

Submit any invoices for recent work you had done on the car, as well.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

4

Answered . You can ask your insurance carrier to reassess the actual cash value (“ACV”) and re-do the estimate of repairs. Ask them also what the percentage for total loss they are using, normally its 70% of ACV. Alternately, you can sue the other driver for the cost of repairs

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

E-Mail: cauto@subrolaw.us

3. Nathanael Prada

4

Answered . You can attempt to hire an attorney, but with the valuation so low you may have trouble finding counsel willing to take on the case unless there are injuries. Small claims court may be your best option. Best of luck.

4. Michael Shemtoub

3

Answered . This certainly sounds like you should consult a local attorney. Best of luck.

Pro

3

Answered . Have them reassess.

6. Jason Todd Studinski

2

Answered . You are generally entitled to the reasonable cost of repair or fair market value. You may want to file a claim in small claims court and/or retain local counsel to help you. Good luck.

7. Carl Nyden Lauer

Answered . It will be difficult to find an attorney to litigate this issue because of the relatively small amounts of money involved. Two potential ways to get more without litigation on a high mileage vehicle is to demonstrate recent significant work on the car such as a new transmission or engine or tires etc. A second item to ask abount is for taxes and titling your new vehicle if this one is totalled. Insurance carriers often neglect to mention this property claim damage which can add a few hundred dollars to your recovery. Good luck!