What are my chances of having a child support case closed and my garnished wages returned to me

Asked over 1 year ago - Cornelius, NC

if I have all the proper documentation? Also what should I do if I filed my taxes and find that someone has claimed my child?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Theresa Eileen Viera

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Child support cases are generally closed once there is a final order by the courts. You will be obliged to follow that order until the order terminates by its own provisions or is changed, normally by a motion to modify. Normally in NC, that means you will have to pay child support until the child is 18 or graduates high school, whichever is later. This can get a little trickier if the Department of Social Services is involved. I would suggest that you consult an attorney to discuss the specifics of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,509 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,509 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering