Skip to main content

What are my chances of getting my case dismissed and expunged? I got a ticket at Walmart for shoplifting things of about $40

Houston, TX |

I got a ticket today for shoplifting at Walmart, although I did pay for part of the things I got. My Trial date is next year January and the ticket says I have a misdemeanor. I plan to apply for pharmacy school soon and Its my first criminal offense. I'm college student that doesn't know what to do. Please, help me I'm freaking out!

Also, is possible to get a pro bono lawyer for my case? I'm college student that doesn't work and parents live outside the US, in Africa precisely.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact a criminal defense attorney and discuss your options with the attorney. An experienced attorney will know how to handle the matter so that it will not come back to haunt you in the future. Since that amount was under $50 you are looking at a class c misdemeanor which if you get and complete a deferred adjudication probation you will be able to get the case expunged



Thank you for your valuable information. Does the completion of adjudication probation automatically expunge my case or I'll have file for it separately?

Gary Churak

Gary Churak


You will need to hire an attorney and file a Petition for Expunction

Gary Churak

Gary Churak


You will need to hire an Attorney to file the Petition for Expunction Gary Churak


Contact a local attorney to assist you. Theft under $50 is a class C misdemeanor. There are options to keep this off of your record permanently. You will not get a court appointed attorney for a class C misdemeanor. You will not know if you can afford an attorney until you call and speak with a few. Many offer reasonable prices and payment options for a class C misdemeanor.

The class C will be eligible for expunction if you are able to complete deferred probation. Good luck!

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


I agree with my colleagues. A Court appointed attorney is out of the question for a Class C. Your best bet is to hire an attorney to handle this case for you.

My answers are not intended as anything more than an educational response to generic questions posted on this site.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer