Skip to main content

What are my chances of getting a CD

Piscataway, NJ |

I was arrested for intent to use drug paraphernalia and possession recently. No prior record whatsoever.
I am not keen on keeping this on my record at all, so what are my chances of obtaining a CD?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. It sounds like you are eligible and should get a cd. You should speak with a lawyer about possible defenses so you don't have to use the cd because cd is once in a lifetime.

  2. you have a good chance of getting a CD based on what you stated. It always helps if you have a good attorney convince the prosecutor that you should in fact get a CD.

    many attorneys offer free in person or phone consultations. Talk to a couple of lawyers to get a feel for what is involved here.

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.

  3. Possession of what and how much? If it was MJ under 50g. the chances are great. If over 50 it will likely be downgraded eventually unless it was substantial weight. Even then PTI is likely.

  4. Call a few lawyers and discuss the matter in detail. You need a consultation for this.

    The Murray Law Firm
    50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
    Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
    T: (201)875-2600
    Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

  5. Depending on the specifics of what happened that night and how this case unfolds, you may want to try to resolve this matter more favorably than just by trying to get a CD. Even if you are eligible for a CD and successfully complete the program, the record of the arrest will remain on your criminal record for a period of time, meaning you have to wait after you complete the program before you can make an application to the court to have your criminal record expunged. If this case was dismissed, you don't have to wait a period of time after the dismissal. So, as you have previously heard, don't post any potentially incriminating information that can be used against you online and discuss this matter in person in a consultation with an attorney.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

  6. You should try to get it dismissed first!!! You can never get a CD again!!

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics