What are my chances in this case: could I possibly pay alimony for 12 years as opposed to 5.5. of the second marriage? Thank you

Saint Augustine, FL |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

My spouse and I got married in 2011 and got divorced in 2004. Then we remarried in 2007 and in April 2013 I filed a petition for dissolution of marriage. While we were divorced b/w 2004 and 2007, we still lived together as roommates (had one joint checking account and a car in both names). We did not have any sexual relationship. My spouse is taking me to court and wants to prove that we lived as married couple from 2001 to 2013 (because he wants to get alimony for the duration of the marriage of 12 years as opposed to 5.5 years).

it was 2001 year at the beginning, not 2011.

You should meet with an attorney. The length of the marriage is important, but it is the length of the marriage, not of the time that you lived together. Discuss these details with the attorney.

That is a question that we lawyers ask each other all the time. It is a very complex area of law, and it is very fact specific. You will not know the answer until you speak to an attorney face to face and go over all the facts.

It seems that alimony would only apply to the last 'marriage', but without a thorough search of case law and the statutes, no attorney will be able to give you an answer that you can rely on.

Best of luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

The law(s) of the State of Florida hashave for quite a long time now (I believe since 1964 or 1965) refused to recognize what is commonly referred to as "common law marriage" which formerly was recognized, if certain necessary elements of the relationship in question existed in fact, as a consequence of the fact that our Americanan common law derived and evolved from the British common law, which, also recognized common law marriage before the United States became a nation. The states have one by one eliminated the recognition of common law marriages, and the years during which you were not, in fact, married, are exactly that - years during which you were not married. In that respect I respectfully disagree with my colleague's response although there may be other aspects of the issues to which you made reference in your question, to which she was replying. As a family law practitioner for some time now, and one who has endured the incredibly lengthy and unduly complicated process of divorce (and, worse, custody battles), generally precipitated by the parties themselves, but which are exacerbated by the incredibly slow movement of the court processes which are relevant to such proceedings, I can only wish you good luck and advise you that, in my opinion, you need a lawyer. However, you should interview several attorneys, or many, before making a decision in this regard, and ask a lot of specific questions regarding billing, etc.

Best regards,

David B. Dohner, Esq.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {954) 604-1562), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

I agree with wise counsel who suggested that you interview several attorneys and only hire one when you feel that you've met the right one for you. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Recommended articles about Divorce