What are my chances in getting Social sercurity disability or ssi?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Wellington, OH

I am 39 and have recently been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my neck leaving me in pain everyday. I have been told by several people to apply for disability and to stop working because the pain gets worse while working. I want to know what are my chances of getting either ssi or disability?

1. Tomasz M Stasiuk

1

1

Answered . It sounds like you might. But, the only way to find out is to apply.

I understand that many people do not want to waste their time filling out applications if they are not going to be approved. But there are no guarantees. Asking if you qualify before you apply is like asking if you can make a shot with basketball while you are still holding it. Maybe you can and maybe you can't, but it is meaningless until you take the shot. :)

If you want to apply, Social Security now lets you start an application online at www.ssa.gov

Your friends or family can help you get the paperwork filled out. Or you can work with an attorney to get this done. Many lawyers only take cases once there has been a denial, but you will probably find someone to help with the paperwork if you really need it.

Just keep in mind that you are on the hook for 25% of whatever you get if you hire a lawyer. When faced with this, most people find a way to get the paperwork done on their own. Then, if they are denied, they get a lawyer to help with the appeal and getting the case ready for a hearing.