What are my best options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Spokane, WA

) I merged into another lane impacting a motorcycle causing 35mph damage. A officer showed up and I was cited with "improperly merging" .
) The vehicle I was driving was registered to another person with insurance , however they don't want to get involved so the damage amount I am being asked for will be coming out of my pocket.
) The party , via repairs is asking for more than the actual cash value.
) The party has given me a deadline until they will file a claim in civil court.
) I am young , I have zero assets a judge could find. Zero.
) My license has been suspended through the "Financial Responsibility Law" in WA.

The party/motorcyclist didn't have insurance , in WA motorcyclist aren't required to have insurance.

1. Stephen Patrick Rapp

Pro

8

Answered . While legal information is of assistance, please consider consulting with an attorney in your location promptly.

2. Albert Lee Crosner

8

Answered . Wow, this sounds like a question from the bar exam I took many years ago. I would strongly suggest you contact a defense attorney in the Spokane area to assist you.

3. Steven L Shaw

6

Answered . I'm not sure that your friend, the registered owner of the car, has a choice about 'becoming involved.'

If you were given permission to drive the car, then the insurance coverage he carries applies.

If your license has been suspended under Washington's Financial Responsibility law, that probably means the other driver's insurance company wasn't aware that there was insurance coverage on the vehicle. Call the other driver's insurance company and give them your friends name and contact information, so that it can get in touch with him and obtain the insurance information.

Again, this presumes that you had permission to drive your friends car. You may lose the friend, but you may also get your license back.

4. George Costas Andriotis

6

Answered . Consult a local defense attorney ASAP to investigate and protect your rights.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

6

Answered . Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to resolve.

6. Satya Grace Vanderbilt Kaskade

3

Answered . Even if your friend does not want to become involved, if you had permission to drive their car, their insurance will cover the collision. The collision you describe likely caused injuries to the motorcyclist. The repairs for the car, which it sounds like you can't afford to pay, are likely just the beginning- general damages for pain and suffering, and special damages for medical costs, will likely be much higher than the cost of repairs.
    Your friend's insurance will not only cover the cost of repairs and medical care, but also the cost of an attorney to defend you if the case does not settle (and a lawsuit is filed). You should consider consulting an attorney specializing in automobile defense. You can probably find one in your area that offers a free initial consultation.

7. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

4

Answered . A car cannot change lanes unless it is safe to do so after signaling your intent. Failing to do so will result in your liability for any resulting accident. If a claim is made in this regard, turn the matter over to all applicable insurance carrier either for the car or for you personally and request indemnification and defense. If not honored, call an attorney immediately.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at http://www.hoffmannpersonalinjury.com.