What are laws regarding leaving of personal property to relatives in a will if you are married

Asked over 4 years ago - Kingston, TN

i am married and wish to leave my part of our property to my 3 children and i wish to know if i can do this

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kevin Drew Balkwill

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You can leave your property to someone other than your spouse, but your spouse can take an elective share of your estate at your death based upon the number of years of your marriage pursuant to TCA 31-4-101. This amount may be up to 40% of the estate for marriages of 10 years or longer. Real property does not generally pass through a will, and inheritance is determined by the type of estate (tenancy by the entirety, joint tenancy, tenants in common).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,091 answers this week

2,917 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,091 answers this week

2,917 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary