What are implications and risks of hosting a 20-year old over NYE in NYC who is going to drink alcohol?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

I hope I am not being paranoid, but I am worried about this situation. She is staying at my place for 2 nights, over NYE in NYC. If she drinks and gets in trouble or gets sick, will I be accused of a crime because I "allowed a underage person to drink" or "gave her alcohol"? What should I tell her in order to be safe?

Should I get her to sign some kind of document exempting me from any liability over her behaviour? She will be with a friend that is 21, also staying at my place. Should I tell her to sign something saying she will be responsible for the 20-year old?

1. Ronald Steven Nir

4

1

Answered . I think you are worrying without reason. You assume she will be drinking and assumptions are not the way to make judgments. I would just tell her that there is no drinking in your home, anything she does outside is not on you.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.
  2. Zev Goldstein

Pro

3

Answered . You could be charged however they would have to prove that you allowed or provide the alcohol which would be difficult if you didn't. What you should know is that you shouldn't:)

3. Zachary Peter Reibstein

Pro

2

Answered . You're definitely being paranoid. As long as you don't personally give her any alcohol or allow her to drink alcohol in your home, you can't be liable for what she does outside. And even if you did provide her with alcohol or allow her to drink it in your home, the odds of the police becoming involved are pretty slim.