Skip to main content

What are her chances at being emancipated?

Evansville, IN |

Ok, so i have a friend who is tired of her mother and her father wont let her move in with him. Her mother always wants to yell scream and hit on her every time she is mad.
Her mother also has a boyfriend she sees on and off for the past 5 years and her daughter does not feel comfortable around,he has tried to talk about having sex with her over the internet and her mom called the cops and started a investigation but then ended it to be with him again. When her mom is mad she often forces her to go to his house with her or threatens to make her spend the night over there knowing she is uncomfortable. The other night she ran away because her mom let her boyfriend punch her in the mouth while holding her down because she said something smart. She wants to be emancipated is it possible?

she is 14 and yes she is still in school but im not sure if shes old enough yet?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are a number of key issues that are left out of your question that make it impossible to answer whether she can be emancipated. First, how old is this friend? Her age is an important component under the Indiana emancipation statutes. Next, is your friend capable of financially supporting herself and is she still in school. Under Indiana law, this is essential. So whether she has her own job and how much she makes will be key information.

Mr. Young is licensed to practice law in Indiana. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Young strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.


Emancipation in Indiana is defined as 18, out of high school, with no intent of pursuing secondary school, supported themselves or capable of doing so. At 14 I would say the situation is a not go. Someone may be able to get guardianship over her so you may wish to talk to an attorney regarding that avenue.

NOTE: This is an opinion and not intended to be legal advise. Please contact an attorney of your choosing for legal advise on this issue.


I do not practice in IN, but I may offer some general advice. This is an abusive situation. Emancipation or guardianship will take too long. Your friend needs to call the police/the equivalent of child protective services in IN and get herself out of this situation NOW.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer