What are exceptions to an auto accident when a driver making a left turn with no traffic control lights or signs?

Beverly Hills, CA |

My friend was involved in an auto accident when the driver was making a lt. turn going E & the other driver going W when they collided. My friend was going with the flow of traffic who was next to the curve. There were other cars on lane 1 & 2 when other cars in lane 1 & 2 suddenly stop. My friend was couple 2nd seconds behind the cars on lane 1 &2. But my friend did not have a clear view when the car making a left turn becuz cars in lane 1 &2. The other driver's insurance said that my friend was partially at fault because the 2 cars from lane 1 & 2 stopped which would make my friend to stop as well. Is my friend partially at fault.? My friend's insurance said that he was 0% fault becuz the driver making the lt turn must yield the rt of way of incoming cars.

These are questions that a trier of fact will likely ultimately decide. There are conflicting vehicle codes. There is a code which requires that a vehicle make a left turn shall to yield the right of way to oncoming vehicles that may constitute a hazard. There is another code which requires that vehicles approaching an intersection where there are already stopped vehicle look for hazards for which the other vehicles are stopped. So, a more detailed analysis of the collision would be required to give an informed opinion as to which party bears all or most of the fault.

This answer to this questions is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney right away to further examine the issues in your case.

What code would that be regarding hazards for which the other car are stopped.

If you were injured, consult a personal injury attorney who can represent you and will deal directly with the insurance company on your behalf. This can be complicated and an experienced attorney can go over your specific facts at no cost to you as they typically work on a contingency fee basis. Call one of us California licensed attorneys here on AVVO for a free consultation.

This is a question of fact for a judge or jury to decide if you two can not settle the debare

Please only call me if your case is in California as I am only licensed here and laws of other states may vary. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is always best and I often in limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.

I would take the position that your friend is 0% at fault because they have the right of way.

Recommended articles about Personal injury