What are exceptions to an auto accident when a driver making a left turn with no traffic control lights or signs?

Asked 6 months ago - Beverly Hills, CA

My friend was involved in an auto accident when the driver was making a lt. turn going E & the other driver going W when they collided. My friend was going with the flow of traffic who was next to the curve. There were other cars on lane 1 & 2 when other cars in lane 1 & 2 suddenly stop. My friend was couple 2nd seconds behind the cars on lane 1 &2. But my friend did not have a clear view when the car making a left turn becuz cars in lane 1 &2. The other driver's insurance said that my friend was partially at fault because the 2 cars from lane 1 & 2 stopped which would make my friend to stop as well. Is my friend partially at fault.? My friend's insurance said that he was 0% fault becuz the driver making the lt turn must yield the rt of way of incoming cars.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marc Lazarus

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . These are questions that a trier of fact will likely ultimately decide. There are conflicting vehicle codes. There is a code which requires that a vehicle make a left turn shall to yield the right of way to oncoming vehicles that may constitute a hazard. There is another code which requires that vehicles approaching an intersection where there are already stopped vehicle look for hazards for which the other vehicles are stopped. So, a more detailed analysis of the collision would be required to give an informed opinion as to which party bears all or most of the fault.

    This answer to this questions is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a question of fact for a judge or jury to decide if you two can not settle the debare

    Please only call me if your case is in California as I am only licensed here and laws of other states may vary.... more
  3. Christopher John Gansen


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would take the position that your friend is 0% at fault because they have the right of way.

  4. James Michael Johnson

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were injured, consult a personal injury attorney who can represent you and will deal directly with the insurance company on your behalf. This can be complicated and an experienced attorney can go over your specific facts at no cost to you as they typically work on a contingency fee basis. Call one of us California licensed attorneys here on AVVO for a free consultation.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Jon Mitchell Jackson

Automobile Accidents

Most people are not aware of the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Americans collectively drive almost three trillion miles... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,125 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,125 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering