What are exceptions to an auto accident when a driver making a left turn with no traffic control lights or signs?

Asked 6 months ago - Beverly Hills, CA

My friend was involved in an auto accident when the driver was making a lt. turn going E & the other driver going W when they collided. My friend was going with the flow of traffic who was next to the curve. There were other cars on lane 1 & 2 when other cars in lane 1 & 2 suddenly stop. My friend was couple 2nd seconds behind the cars on lane 1 &2. But my friend did not have a clear view when the car making a left turn becuz cars in lane 1 &2. The other driver's insurance said that my friend was partially at fault because the 2 cars from lane 1 & 2 stopped which would make my friend to stop as well. Is my friend partially at fault.? My friend's insurance said that he was 0% fault becuz the driver making the lt turn must yield the rt of way of incoming cars.

1. Marc Lazarus

10

Answered . These are questions that a trier of fact will likely ultimately decide. There are conflicting vehicle codes. There is a code which requires that a vehicle make a left turn shall to yield the right of way to oncoming vehicles that may constitute a hazard. There is another code which requires that vehicles approaching an intersection where there are already stopped vehicle look for hazards for which the other vehicles are stopped. So, a more detailed analysis of the collision would be required to give an informed opinion as to which party bears all or most of the fault.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

6

Answered . This is a question of fact for a judge or jury to decide if you two can not settle the debare

3. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

5

Answered . I would take the position that your friend is 0% at fault because they have the right of way.

4. James Michael Johnson

4

Answered . If you were injured, consult a personal injury attorney who can represent you and will deal directly with the insurance company on your behalf. This can be complicated and an experienced attorney can go over your specific facts at no cost to you as they typically work on a contingency fee basis. Call one of us California licensed attorneys here on AVVO for a free consultation.