What are Connecticut abandonment laws?

Danbury, CT |

A friend of mine was moving and in her garage there was a motorcycle left by an exroomate. She asked if my boyfriend wanted it because the room mate obviously did not. The bike had a lot of damage (broken mirrors, dents, cut wires, broken locks). It wasn't usable, but we had said ok, because it was either take it or leave it to the land lord. We brought it to his parents house, where it sat UNTOUCHED for another year and a half. So now three years+ later the roommate contacts us to get the bike. Without any hesitation we make plans and he comes and gets the bike. Now he's calling us and throwing around words like stolen property, damage and accusing my boyfriend of cutting wires! We were trying to help! Not get in this situation. Does he gave a case? Can I counter suit for storage fees?

Please note that the bike sat in a completely (no garage doors) open garage for the first 2 years it was there. Not locked or anything. Also, he's accusing my boyfriend simply because hes an electrician and the wires were "cut by someone who knew what they were doing". This isn't fair for my boyfriend who was simply trying to help out a friend. He says he only wants us to pay for the ignition, but I don't understand why I have to pay at all.

1. Using the written documentation you have is a good place to begin. Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a free consultation for an hour - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me. Many Connecticut attorneys have information posted here on Avvo.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-choose-a-lawyer-for-you

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot see your documents. You need a lawyer. Check with a Connecticut lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.