What are break requirements in Michigan?

Asked about 3 years ago - Winn, MI

My husbands work only allows one 20 minute break in the morning and a 30 minute lunch in the afternoon. He doesn't want to complain and risk losing his job but is this even legal in Michigan?

1. Meghan Hayes Slack

Best Answer

Answered . Yes. It is legal. Michigan law does not require meal or rest breaks for adults. If your husband has a disability or needs time for religious purposes (daily prayers), then he may be entitled to additional breaks as a reasonable accommodation. If he needs an accommodation, he should speak with human resources.

If he is a union member or has an employment contract, his collective bargaining agreement or employment contract may have a clause requiring breaks.

Federal law requires that employees be paid for short breaks. Longer, meal breaks may be unpaid as long as employees are completely relieved of their work duties. Other that this, at-will Michigan employees have no break rights.

2. Jason Matthew Shinn

Answered . I think Ms. Slack's answer covered all the bases with respect to your husband's circumstances. I would only like to add that in the event his employee manual provides additional break time to be aware that this manual probably can be changed at the employer's convenience.

Also, while not relevant to your husband, it is important for other viewers to be aware that under Federal law employers must provide a reasonable break time for nursing mothers to express breast milk and a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public. 29 USC 207(r).

Also, employees under 18 years of age may not work more than 5 continuous hours without a 30 minute uninterrupted rest period.