What amount in damages can I sue for when suing for Defamation and Professional Negligence?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I've already filled the suit against my Property Manager and The Management Company, I'm in the process of admending my complaint. I'm suing for $50,000. I'm not sure if that's too high or too low. My damages are one week's pay, emotional distress, defamation, professional negligence, negligence retention and training, loss of community. Back ground info...I work for the construction company that's renovating my and another apartment building, I work at the second building not the one I live at. Property manager made false accusations about me stating I told residents in building about the renovation process, I was fired then rehired on two conditions resigning from the tenant council board and signing a confidential agreement. Do property managers have a duty of care responsibility?

1. Barbara Billiot Stage

Pro

3

Answered . Hire an attorney. With limited exceptions an owner or tenant cannot sue a property manager or the management company. Only the property owner can sue and you have to sue the property owner.

2. David Hughes Harris

Pro

3

Answered . Your initiated litigation is just beginning (and it does get tougher from here).

As other counsel have mentioned, consult an attorney in your area as soon as you can.

Pro

3

Answered . Bottom line is retain a local lawyer so you don't sabotage your claim.

4. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

1

Answered . I see no real damages. The demand for damages in a Complaint in Florida is almost always "in excess of the minimal jurisdictional limits of the court."

Unless you can prove damages you are wasting your time and exposing yourself to paying the other side's costs and potentially fees.