What am i looking at for sentencing for a 2nd owi and revoked liscense?

Asked almost 2 years ago - La Crosse, WI

I just got a 2nd owi and revoked liscense ticket. I have court towards the end of feb. and was wondering what i may be looking at for sentencing and if anyone knows of cheap, good private lawyer. My first owi was from 2 years ago.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Nicholas C. Zales


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I highly recommend you call Hale & Skemp. They are a very well respected La Crosse law firm and have excellent lawyers. http://www.haleskemp.com/PracticeAreas/OWIDrunk... If I was in your situation I would be talking to them. Tell them Atty. Nick Zales referred you to them.

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Zales recommendation. You don't want cheap, though. You want affordable. See http://addbalance.com/guidelines/7th-2010.pdf for the judicial sentencing guidelines.

    Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

    That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

    Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

    After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

    You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

    That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more
  3. George A. Limbeck

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Every circuit court district has adopted standard sentencing guidelines for OWI charges. While they vary between districts, their goal is to promote uniformity within each district. I recommend you contact a local attorney experienced in OWI defense and they will be able to explain the guidelines and under what conditions the courts will deviate down (a lesser sentence ) and up (an aggravated sentence. Good Luck.

  4. Michael C. Witt


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What follows is a link to a publicly accessible page on the State Bar website with links to the statewide OAR/OAS guidelines, as well as the OWI sentencing guidelines by judicial district. LaCrosse is in the 7th judicial district. Guidelines are just that; results will vary. Hire the best lawyer you can afford, as soon as possible.


    This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the... more
  5. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The words good and cheap rarely go together. Hire the best attorney you can afford. Good luck.

  6. Katie Beth Bricco

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I realize you specifically requested a private lawyer, but keep in mind that many very good, very experienced attorneys work for the Public Defender's office. There is no harm in seeing if you qualify for public defender appointment if money is really so tight. You can always retain counsel later if you are unstatisfied with the representation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,060 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,060 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering