What am I looking at for potential penalties? How will this affect renewal of my F-1 visa?

Arrested for DUI on Saturday, BAC was 0.17, 2-car accident but no one was injured. On F-1 visa, honors student with high GPA, graduating this May, no criminal record, only traffic violation I have was a speeding ticket 5-10 mph over. Will very likely return to the university next year for Master's, so I will need to get a new F-1 visa.

Ann Arbor, MI -

Attorney Answers (4)

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

A DUI is not considered a "crime of moral turpitude". You should be able to renew your F-1 visa.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Nothing really, if you stay away from trouble in the future.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
Rebecca Sue Lair

Rebecca Sue Lair

Immigration Attorney - Lansing, MI

A single DUI will GENERALLY not make you inadmissible for criminal reasons. However, at some consulates, a DUI may prompt them to consider whether you are an alcoholic and inadmissible for medical reasons.

*This is not intended as legal advice. Individuals should consult an attorney to review individual circumstances... more
Pradeek Susheelan

Pradeek Susheelan

Immigration Attorney - Atlanta, GA

You should be fine a single DUI does not generally have any immigration consequences. Neither does a speeding ticket.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.