What am I looking at?

Chico, CA |

I got introuble for shoplifting at winco foods. Got sentenced to probation then my sister and I were in khols and I put items in the bag but my sister walked out with it she got caught and they are refering this case to the D.A . What am Iookin at?

You are looking at potential probation violation pulse new charges. You need an attorney to work through this

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

Consult with a local criminal attorney - possible new charge & violation of probation (this is serious - retain an attorney)

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

The second incident could be 3 yrs in prison. Call my office in Chico ( 530-580-8528) and we'll discuss your options. Free consultation.The crime of theft in California law is defined as the unlawful taking of someone else's property.
And when the property that is taken is
valued at nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) or less,
not of certain special types (like a car or a firearm), AND
not taken directly off of the person it belongs to (as in a mugging, for example),
then the theft is considered the California crime of petty theft under Penal Code 484 & 488 PC.2
The vast majority of petty theft charges stem from shoplifting cases.
California's "Petty Theft with a Prior" Law 

Penal Code 666 PC is one of the harsher, more unfair sentencing schemes in California criminal law.
Since petty theft is one of the least serious theft crimes , it is usually a misdemeanor carrying relatively light penalties: a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000), and/or up to six (6) months in county jail.1
But, if you have certain prior convictions on your record, Penal Code 666 PC changes all that. This law, known as California's "petty theft with a prior" statute, turns a petty theft charge into a wobbler ...which means it may be brought either as a misdemeanor charge OR as a
felony charge.2
If it is charged as a felony, Penal Code 666 PC petty theft with a prior can lead to up to three (3) years in California state prison!
This is a pretty harsh penalty for a criminal charge that, much of the time, arises out of shoplifting which the shoplifter didn't even take anything particularly valuable!
Most "petty theft with a prior" cases arise out of minor shoplifting cases.