What all has to be done to obtain a "poor mans divorce" in NY State

Asked over 4 years ago - Painted Post, NY

what all must I do to obtain a "poor man's divorce" in NY state. I am in Steuben County. I am quite sure I will meet any financial requirements, as I am low income and only made like $5,000 in 2009.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There is no such thing as a "poor man's divorce." You can get poor person's status by filling out the appropriate paperwork at your county courthouse. What that does is allow your case to proceed without having to pay most court fees.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,792 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,792 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering