What all do i need to get guardianship of my 2 younger siblings?

Asked 11 months ago - Houston, TX

they are 13 and 14...i am 24...my mother has become severely alcohol dependent and is unable to care for them. Both parents have agreed to sign them over. 14 year old recieves SSI and their father pays child support how do go about obtaining everything.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mario L. Vasquez


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While I agree with Ms. Lowry, it could get messy real quick because of the child support and SSI. I suggest that you consult with an attorney with experience in guardianships. Even if successful in getting appointed their guardian results in annual reporting issues on how you spent the SSI to the Court. See a lawyer.

    Good luck!

    My response herein is an attempt to give you general information and direction and is not intended to constitute... more
  2. Maria Sara Lowry

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your best move is to go to court and become a managing conservator with the right to designate their primary residence. You can find the petition and the order in Suit Affecting the Parent Child Relationship at a law library. After you file the petition, you will need to serve your mother and the father/s of your siblings. You should include a request that the child support be redirected to you 9this may be the thing that causes your mother to fight it).

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information... more
  3. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You don't want guardianship, you want custody which is handled in the family court system. Guardianship is a probate matter handled in a different group of courts in Harris County.

    I recommend that you hire an experienced family law attorney to help you. As you can see from the other 2 attorneys that have answered, it is a complex matter. If both parents don't sign the paperwork approving the change, then they need to be served with legal paperwork. It's not that easy for you to get them served properly.

    Look on this website and find an attorney. I office with attorney Patricia Bushman and she accepts payment plans - 713-807-9405.

    I only mediate these days. If you need a mediator, please consider me.

    Fran Brochstein has been a licensed Texas attorney over 22 years. She is a Advanced Credentialed Mediator by the... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,856 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,856 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering