What all do I need to bring with me to the 341 meeting of creditors?

Steelville, MO |

I was just wanting to make sure I did not forget anything. I am going to bring:
-Photo ID
-Socoal Security Card
-Copy of all Original Bankruptcy Papers
-Copy of Ammended Papers
Do I need to bring copies of Pay stubs and tax returns? They have already been provided to the trustee. Any other suggestions?

All you need to bring is your photo ID and proof of Social Security number. At least 7 days before the hearing, you must send the trustee a copy of your most recent tax return, paystubs or other proof of income from the 60 days prior to filing and proof of any and all liens against your property (at least that is what we need to send in this district). It is a good idea to bring to all documents that you sent and filed just in case the trustee does not have them or you need to refer to them.

Good Luck and relax. It is a good idea to come a little early and listen to other hearings to know the types of questions to expect.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Your list is pretty good. 7 days before the meeting you should have provided the last tax return that you filed including any and all W-2 & 1099 forms upon which the filing was based. And, you should bring your current bank statements and any other statements from accounts in which you have an interest. Do not be nervous, unless your petition is not truthfull, complete and accurate, or unless you have assets not covered by exemptions, the worst that will happen is that the trustee will ask you to provide additional documents after the meeting.

This is the answer to your narrow question about documents at the 341 meeting. Bankruptcy requires review of your entire financial situation including all debts, income and assets. Bankruptcy should never be filed "pro se", without an attorney in your jurisdiction who is experienced in bankruptcy law.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

You need to bring with you originals and/or copies of all papers that document what you have in your bankruptcy petition and schedules. Besides what you have listed, you should bring with you pay stubs and bank statements for the six months prior to your filing for bankruptcy; a copy of the recorded deed to your residence and any recorded mortgages or equity lines for the residence; original titles to your vehicles; any recent asset appraisals (but don't go out and get any done for the meeting of creditors, just bring any that were done for you recently as part of another transaction); state and federal tax returns for 2009 and 2008; proof of your expenses, like cancelled checks and monthly bills; and current property tax statements. If you don't provide something that the Trustee is looking for, s/he will let you know at the Meeting of Creditors, and will likely adjourn or continue the meeting to a later date. If you provide all the information I listed, you'll probably not have that problem. Good luck.