What all am I entitled to sue for if I am illegally locked out of my house?

La Crosse, WI |

My boyfriend changed the locks on our place of residents and locked me out with two kids and a dog. All of the money I had went to rent for this month. I currently am living in my friends basement until I can get enough money to find a place. I have to arrange for childcare so I can go to work and cant afford to put my 5 month old daughter in day care right now this short notice. By taking my landlord and or boyfriend to court what am I entitled to sue for? Can I get any money back?

1. Legally this is a complicated situation. Since it was your boyfriend locked you out a suit against the landlord has no merit. You could take your boyfriend to small claims court for breach of contract, since he denied you access to the residence which I assume you areed to share. Save all reciepts for monies you spend on trying to find a new place. It would be wise to consult with a local attorney for some guidance on the local laws and procedures. Good luck.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

2. As I recall from an earlier post you indicated that the LL approved and gave permission for the lockout. If true LL may have liability too.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.