What age is not required stepchildren to take US citizenship test in order to become US citizenship if the father is US citizen?

San Diego, CA |

When I got married her mother, my stepson is 17 and stepdaughter is 10 years of age. When my stepson is 19 and daughter is 12, they both have Green card "Permanent Resident" arrived to US in 2012. Should they waive for taking US citizenship test in order to obtain US citizenship after 3 years living here?

1. If the mother is a US citizen and the kids were under 18 when she obtained the citizenship, then and in that case they are deemed to be US citizens themselves and have to file Form N-600 to obtain a certificate of citizenship, or immediately apply for a US passport.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. The must be under 18 at the time the mother naturalizes.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.