What age can you choose who you want to live with?

Converse, TX |

My parents are not devorsed. They are not my blood parents but my blood brother lives with them because it is his real dad. I live with my grandmother (not my real grandmother). She used to abuse me physically. Now she abuses me verbally. I really want to live with my brother. What age do i have to be to choose where i can live? With my grandma or my brother who lives with his real dad and his dads wife.

Your situation is more complicated than just choosing where you want to live. 12 is the age you can speak to a judge, but, in your case, you aren't choosing between parents. An unrelated adult doesn't have standing to sue for custody except under specific circumstances. You'd need to speak to someone specifically about your case. Also, if you are being abused you can make a report to CPS or try talking to a teacher or counselor at your school. Good luck.

Child custody topics