What age can I have my oldest child babysit my other kids?

Seattle, WA |

My oldest son is 11. When can I have him watch the younger ones (5 & 7) for a few hours?

I'm unaware of a legal requirement that specifies a minimum age for babysitting. Here's an excerpt from womensforum.com:

"Many states do not actually specify a legal age for babysitters, but rather an age for minors being left home alone. In Illinois, it is considered to be neglect if a child under the age of 14 is left home without any supervision for a lengthy period of time. A mature age for babysitting may depend upon the sitter. Most childcare professionals and child services recommend that the age limit for children in charge of children be 17 years old. This is because most children of 17 are mature and responsible enough to handle looking after younger children, and many of them also have a driver's license which is necessary in the case of an emergency. In many states, however, it is recognized that children start babysitting from the age of 11 and upwards. This includes Washington, Texas, Michigan, and others."

Personally, I would check with WA Childrens Protective Service to find out what guidelines they have. If anyone questioned your use of your 11 year old to watch his siblings, it would be CPS that would investigate. Make sure you follow their rules.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

I like the above answer, but I would add that many states have CPS's guidelines available on their websites. I would search for the rules online, or contact an attorney who practices CPS law in your county before I talked with anyone at CPS.

Ms. Duffey’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, provided for general information purposes, to the public -- not any specific individual. Ms. Duffey is licensed to practice law in Texas.