What age can a public school stop contacting your parents.

West Hartford, CT |

My HighSchool keeps calling my parents for every little single thing and i think its a bit ridiculous... im 19 and i feel i have the right to have the school stop calling my mother 247

1. I'm not sure why your high school is contacting your parents given the facts that you've outlined above - you are 19 years old.

Please consider the following information:

Under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), your became an "eligible student" when you turned 18 years old (as long as your parents did not obtain a legal guardianship over you, which I assume you would have mentioned in the facts, above). Assuming that your parents did not obtain a legal guardianship over you (court-process, so you would know), then the rights that your parents previously experienced regarding information and records access transferred to you at the age of majority - 18 years old.

Good luck. It can be difficult to self-advocate at times, but it's sound like you are well on your way to self-advocating!

Note: I am not licensed to practice law in your state and I cannot give legal advice to a non-client. I provide this response for general, information purposes only. This is not to be construed as legal advice. Consult appropriate legal counsel in your area.