What after the 10 years bar is served? Do I still need to file for an I-601?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My fiancee lived in the us for some time, overstaying her visa, but she never came in without inspection (tourist visa) and she left on her own, no one remove her. She has no criminal record or anything of that sort. We met while she was here and have been friends for years, until a year ago that we developed a relationship and decided to get married in her country. She has been out of the states for more than 10 years, and has her passport stamps to prove it. What now? Do I still need to file an I-601, letter of hardship and so on? Thank you in advance for any helpful answer you can give me regarding this matter. We want to get married ASAP. Joshuah D

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . No bar. Sponsor her.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . No. Not on your facts. Petition for her.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Nope. No need to file any sort of waiver, given that she remained outside the US for the last 10 years. All you need to do now is petition for her.

4. Bradley Lawrence Whitney Thomson

Pro

4

Answered . Include proofs from each of the past 10 years showing that she was not living in the USA

5. Dean P Murray

1

Answered . Present evidence proving that the 10 year period was spent outside of the United States. You can petition for her. You should, however, consider using an immigration lawyer to handle the petition to ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible.

6. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

1

Answered . Under these facts, no waiver is required. However, be prepared to show extensive evidence that she spent 10 years outside the U.S. to a consular officer. There is a tremendous amount of fraud in this type of situation where people claim that they have, but have no evidence to prove it.