Skip to main content

What address should I put in the I-130 application if I live overseas?

Usa, Mobile, AL |

I am a U.S.A. citizen, I am petitioning my husband and child , who all live overseas. I live outside of the U.S.A too. In the I-130 do I write my address for the place where I am living (overseas) or do I need to write an address in U.S.A.? Thank you in advance.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The Embassy overseas will only entertain an I-130 filed directly with them if you are presently residing in that country.

  2. Here's the deal. The visas will not be issued to your husband/child if YOU don't demonstrate that you have, or will soon, relocate to the US.

    Thus, NOW is the time to have a US address ... with someone checking the mail for your.

    Get your driver's license in the US ... get a job in the US ... .difficult to do????? talk to a lawyer.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. If you do not have the residence in the US - do not file the application.

Immigration Topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics