Skip to main content

What additional information do I need for a Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Form I-751)?

Mission, TX |

My husband is trying to remove his conditions on residence. We just got a letter from the USCIS that said that although we submitted some docs: 2 years of Tax returns, copies of ids, bank statements, credit card statements, a marriage certificate, a residential lease addendum, acquaintance affidavits and photographs as evidence to support our marriage. It says that since I(wife) filed as head of household, it doesnt sufficiently demo, a comingling of assets and liabilities. Also, it said that I didn't submit enough bank statements.
I filed as head of household since my husband doesnt work(now i know it wasn't suppose to like that). I've redone the 3 years income tax so that it reflects married filing jointly. Will this be okay? I need additional space to add more info!

Attorney Answers 2


Taxes alone are not likely enough to get the I-751 approved without an interview. In addition to the three years of income tax, you should have other joint documents like mortgage/lease, utility bills, insurance, etc. to demonstrate that you and your husband are sharing a life together. If the Service Center doesn't believe you've submitted enough evidence, you will be called into your local USCIS for an interview, so you'll have an opportunity to address any weaknesses.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You need an attorney to assist you

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics