What actual legal agreements are made by signing a marriage certificate?

Indianapolis, IN |

My girlfriend and I are in the process of getting married later this year. We're both in our early 30s and and have a way of showing our independent streaks from time to time. To avoid financial arguments, we have already verbally agreed to run a "three account" system in marriage. That is, keeping separate asset and liability accounts for "him", "her", and "ours". This is probably not standard by law, so we're OK with documenting that with, ideally, some simple language written out on paper. But, it got us thinking of what else comes "standard" with a signing of a marriage certificate that we may want to adapt in writing to better suit us? Does any "list" of agreements being made exist, state by state perhaps?

Do you mean a prenuptial agreement? A marriage certificate is what you get from the county that you get married in to show that the two of you are able to be married, etc. A prenuptial agreement would outline the intent you have going into marriage. Usually, prenups include provisions for what happens to assets and debts acquired during marriage. It can also waive or limit spousal support, or include special circumstances that the parties agree on. There aren't other "standard" provisions, aside from boilerplate paragraphs regarding certain parts of the law. Probably would be best to consult with an attorney for a prenup agreement as it an have major ramifications at divorce.

The information and materials contained on this website do not constitute legal advice and are presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to accuracy or completeness. They are not intended to create, and receipt of them does not establish, an attorney-client relationship between you and Jenn Yan Wen Fei. Additionally, any contact between you and Jenn Yan Wen Fei does not establish an attorney-client relationship; any communication is not confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice on your specific situation.

I don't mean a pre-nup per se... I know that those can get intricate. But I mean what "agreements" come along with signatures on a marriage certificate? After all, those are legal documents too, right?

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

Marriage certificates show that you voluntarily are married and that you agree to not marry someone else at the same time. While marriages are contracts, it does not include any provisions on managing your money or otherwise.

OK. How then do states get involved in splitting assets 50/50, determining child custody, etc.? If the marriage certificate itself has no provisions, where do these other requirements/rights/etc. come from?

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

Those are state laws. Property rights of married couples vary state by state, some are community property and some are equitable distribution states. There are certain laws that apply to couples who are married by common law, which means that they don't actually have a marriage certificate and are considered to be married according to certain provisions in the law. You don't need to be married to have children and to be involved in child custody, and it has its own set of laws.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help so far. Other than the 2 areas you've named so far (property rights, child custody rights) are there any other "common" areas of state or even federal laws where being married or not married has an impact?

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

Jenn Yan Wen Fei

I'm sorry, but the answer to your question would take a very long time, and I'm not even sure that would answer your question. There are many areas in civil, probate, criminal and family law, so essentially: being married or unmarried has an impact on many, many "common" areas of the law.

Marriage and prenups topics