What actions should I take on my court date?

Hello, I was recently charged for possession of marijuana under 20 ounces in Texas. This is the first time anything like this has happened. We were driving on the free way and passed an officer who had stopped someone else. I did not know we had to change lanes or slow down 20 mph. He stopped us and found the marijuana in the car (not hidden). Once inside the county office, I had three options: Hire an attorney, get appointed an attorney, or waive my rights to an attorney to hear a prosecutors deal. I chose to waive the attorney because I still had the opportunity to hire an attorney afterwards, and because I did not know what I was doing. I was put back in the holding cell without talking to the prosecutor and was let go a couple of hours later after someone paid the fine. My court date is in a month. I would greatly appreciate your advice on what to do. Thank you.

Corpus Christi, TX -

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

See my answer to your previous question.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mokena, IL

Hire an attorney.

William Emil Cassara

William Emil Cassara

Military Law Attorney - Augusta, GA

I am not a TX attorney, but you should at least consult with a TX defense attorney. These are not decisions that should be made based on a one paragraph summary on AVVO. Do a search on this site for a criminal defense lawyer in your area. Most offer free consultations.

Related Advice