Skip to main content

What actions should I take on my court date?

Corpus Christi, TX |

Hello, I was recently charged for possession of marijuana under 20 ounces in Texas. This is the first time anything like this has happened.

We were driving on the free way and passed an officer who had stopped someone else. I did not know we had to change lanes or slow down 20 mph. He stopped us and found the marijuana in the car (not hidden). Once inside the county office, I had three options: Hire an attorney, get appointed an attorney, or waive my rights to an attorney to hear a prosecutors deal. I chose to waive the attorney because I still had the opportunity to hire an attorney afterwards, and because I did not know what I was doing. I was put back in the holding cell without talking to the prosecutor and was let go a couple of hours later after someone paid the fine.

My court date is in a month. I would greatly appreciate your advice on what to do. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hire an attorney.


I am not a TX attorney, but you should at least consult with a TX defense attorney. These are not decisions that should be made based on a one paragraph summary on AVVO. Do a search on this site for a criminal defense lawyer in your area. Most offer free consultations.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


See my answer to your previous question.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer