What actions can I take against someone who has written a check I cashed then put a stop payment on it?

Asked 11 months ago - Lincoln Park, MI

A friend who was staying with me received a check from her husband. Being she just moved to the area she had not found a branch of her bank so I deposited this check, let it clear in my bank then gave her the money. the day after said check was returned stop payment to my bank.

1. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

8

Answered . sounds like fraud to me. you need to report it to the local police.

2. Mani Khavajian

Pro

6

Answered . You should call the police and report the fraud.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
  3. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

7

Answered . Contact the police, and make sure you tell them you are reporting fraud. Otherwise, you may get an officer trying to dismiss it as a "civil" matter. If the amount of the check is sizable, the police should take an interest.