Skip to main content

What action can I take against being accused of being a drunk and substance abuser ?

Staten Island, NY |

wrongfully accused and children were taken away.have suffered 6 long years and want my sanity back as well as my children.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you have some medical and witness support concerning your sobriety, you may wish to contact a family law attorney or legal aid for assistance in having your children placed back into your care.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with Attorney Lundeen. Use the "Find a Lawyer" tab here on AVVO for a family lawyer in your area.


If the allegations are untrue, then you have a defamation action against him, except that if the only place he made these allegations was in court/court papers, those are not actionable. Tyhpically, though, as far as your family court matter, it is incumbent upon the proponent of that information to offer proof in court, although sometimes in family court it doesn't seem like it. By now, I assume you must have an attorney, so consult with the attorney. If you don't have one, consult one.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


A family law attorney should be retained to resolve this.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer