Skip to main content

What action can a person take to dispute a debt that doesn't belong to me

Brooklyn, NY |

they stated that i have to pay a bail fee for 1700 and also if i didnt pay i would have to pay the total of 8000 dollars in court fees. I explained to them this is due to identity theft and its not my responsiblity they made me write and apology letter. can explain to me why i have to do a apology letter i need to see if this is legit what do i do

Attorney Answers 2


I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

This may be an attempt to trick you into acknowledging the debt is yours. If you "apologize" for not paying the bondsman could use the letter as proof that you admit owing the debt.

Do not write anything other than a letter (certified mail) DENYING the debt and demanding proof of the debt. Don't make any explanations.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


If you are serious about the identity theft, you should go to the FTC website, download the identity theft package and send in the notarized statement to the creditor.,

That statement, sworn under penalty of perjury, should demonstrate that you are serious about the issue.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Credit card fraud topics

Recommended articles about Credit card fraud

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics