What about statute of limitations on suspended drivers license

Asked over 3 years ago - Arlington, OR

I was given a ticket for speeding and moved away but had forgotten all about the ticket so they suspended my license in Oregon. I was issued a drivers license in Idaho but then was stopped recently and the officer wrote me a ticket for suspended license. Idaho issued me a license and I thought I was alright becuase I got in Boise at the main headquarters seemed like they'd a caught it there, so I figured I was okay. What's the statute of limitations for this I got the ticket in 2007

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

7

Answered . I would contact the licensing authority that gave you your license. I would say that there may not be a statute because you owe money on the speeding ticket, the statute is to protect people from old evidence being brought in, but you were either speeding or you were not. talk to the registry and if you have to pay the ticket.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

6

3. Robert J Harris

Pro

Answered . When you failed to appear on the Oregon ticket, the court entered a conviction and a fine and suspended your license. So there are no statute of limitations issues. Statue of limitations only says they have to charge you within a certain time. Here, they not only charged you they also entered a conviction.

I'm assuming that you got your Idaho license before Oregon formally entered your license suspension into the Interstate Drivers compact system. Once Idaho got the notice from Oregon, I bet they sent you a license suspension notice. Maybe you didn't get that, but the Idaho officer can't give you a ticket because you're suspended in Oregon, they can only ticket you if you're suspended in Idaho.

You should call the court where you had the ticket and see how much you owe. You need to ask them for a license clearance once you pay the fines and costs. Then, you take the clearance and go to Oregon DMV and get your Oregin rights reinstated. Another fee. that should clear you to get your license in Idaho reinstated (assuming I'm correct that you're also suspended in Idaho because of the Oregon suspension)

4. Stephanie Hartung

Answered . Idaho participates in the National Drivers Register (NDR). The NDR is computerized database of drivers and their license suspensions. When Idaho issued you a driver’s license they likely were unaware that you were suspended in Oregon. If they were they should not have issued you a license, since the States that participate in the NDR give full faith and credit to each other’s laws (if one State suspends you a participating State will also enforce the suspension). Since, Idaho issued you a license they should have provided you notice that you would be suspended (upon their discovery you were suspended in Oregon). It is important to resolve the underlying cause for suspension so you don’t face further problems. Contact an attorney to help you with the current situation