Skip to main content

What a judge looks for (custody)?

Washington |

What are the skills and abilities a judge looks for when wanting to get joint custody versus my ex husband having sole? Outside of the fact there is serious parental alienation and contempt as its been summer and Christmas I didnt get my court ordered time. the child is 11.

Will it help to go to a parenting class? Get a psychological evaluation? Anything else so all my ducks are in a row?


Attorney Answers 1


It sounds as if you already have a Parenting Plan in place in Washington State. If the father is not allowing you to exercise your court ordered residential time with your children, then the best avenue would be to file a Motion for Contempt. If the court finds the father in contempt more than once for violating the Parenting Plan your potentially have a basis for modification of the Parenting Plan.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics