Skip to main content

What a impact for 17 years old son got speeding ticket?

Novi, MI |
Filed under: Traffic tickets

My 17 yrs old son has a Michigan driving license, he got speeding ticket in Ohio freeway (he was on the left line and tried to passing a car and drive to center line). He drove 81mph on the freeway of 70mph limited.
What is going to happen to him in Mic ..."

Attorney Answers 1


I am not licensed to practice law in Ohio or Michigan, but it is my understanding that all states share information regarding traffic violations. So, if your son pleads guilty, it is very likely that Ohio will report the speeding conviction to his home state of Michigan. You should contact the state agency in Ohio that regulates driver's licenses to ask how Ohio will treat your son's speeding ticket to find out if they will report it to Michigan. Then contact the state agency in Michigan that regulates driver's licenses (Dept. of Motor Vehicles?) and ask how they will treat an out-of-state speeding conviction.

My advice is for your son to hire a criminal defense attorney or traffic law attorney in the city or county in Ohio where your son received the ticket to have the attorney negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecutor to get the speeding ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction. If his ticket does get reduced to a non-moving infraction, then most likely it won't be reported to Michigan.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics