What sentence do you recommend?

Brandon, FL |

My house was vandalized at night w/ my daughter inside. 3 windows were shattered causing $2500 worth of damage. My daughter does not want to sleep alone anymore and most of the time is making up trips to the shopping center during the night to get away from home.

I'm assuming from your question that someone was charged with a crime. You don't say exactly what the person was charged with, if at all. Since your daughter was very traumatized by this, I would explain this to the prosecutor and you can ask them what the maximum sentence is. However, you also need to ask what is a more realistic sentence because if the defendant pleas guilty then don't expect the max. I'm sure the judge will allow your input at sentencing so you should stay in contact with the prosecutor so that you can be there for sentencing.

Making a sentencing recommendation is highly personal and emotional process; decisions over what is a just sentence vary greatly depending on person’s sense of justice and willingness to consider tempering their recommendations with mercy. A couple of suggestions are to find out what the sentencing range is under Florida’s Punishment Code and the defendant’s prior criminal history. You should also consult the prosecutor and take their recommendations into account. I would also suggest that you try to make your assessment regarding the defendant’s remorse (or lack thereof) and if you are person of faith, pray for guidance. I hope this helps — good luck to you and your family.